DIABETES EDUCATION AT WOOD COUNTY HOSPITAL
The Diabetes Education Program at Wood County Hospital provides Initial Diabetes Self-Management training and refresher education for clients with Diabetes on an outpatient basis upon physician referral. Note, refresher education is individual sessions for clients that have been through the initial program before. The program also provides education for pregnant women with gestational diabetes.
The Diabetes Education Program, also referred to as Diabetes Self-Management Training, is recognized by the American Diabetes Association for meeting the national diabetes education standards and is provided by Certified Diabetes Educators. With being a recognized program, the program is Medicare Certified and can attempt to bill private insurance companies. It is always encouraged that individuals verify with their insurance company to insure the services will be covered before scheduling an appointment.
Diabetes Education includes four different programs based around a variety of diabetes topics to fit individual needs and schedules. Here are a few guidelines to follow when scheduling appointments for the diabetes programs:
- Call 419-354-8863 and press option #1 when prompted to do so.
- Please bring your referral with you to your first appointment.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early for your first appointment. Come to the front of the hospital and check in at the Welcome Center inside the front entrance. After registering, one of our staff members will escort you to our office.
Listed below are the programs and brief descriptions about each.
General Diabetes Education/Medical Nutrition Therapy
This program includes:
- A one hour individual session with the nurse and dietitian. This is the time for them to get to know you and your medical history.
- You may choose one of the following education class series. Each month we offer:
– A series of two morning classes on Tuesday/Thursday from 9:00AM – 12:00PM
– A series of two afternoon classes on Tuesday/Thursday from 1:00-4:00PM
– A series of two evening classes on the first and second Wednesday from 4:30-7:30PM (small meal provided)
- A follow-up class plus up to three hours of medical nutrition therapy with the dietitian in the one year period following your initial individual session.
- If Insulin Initiation is marked on your referral, this includes an individual insulin skills session with the nurse, usually right after your individual session with the nurse and dietitian listed above.
For Gestational Diabetes
This program includes a combined evaluation with the nurse and dietitian followed by individual education sessions with each professional. Total time of sessions is usually two hours.
Refresher Diabetes Education/Medical Nutrition Therapy
This program is for clients that have been through the initial program before. It includes up to two hours of individual diabetes education and up to two hours of medical nutrition therapy for each year after your first year of education.
The fee structure is $55.00 per 30 minutes for individual education at $26.50 per client per 30 minutes for groups of two or more.
Diabetes Interest Group
The Diabetes Interest Group at Wood County Hospital meets monthly to discuss current topics about diabetes. The meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month, September through April, from 1:00PM in the hospital meeting rooms. The meetings are free and open to the public. Yearly in April, the Diabetes Interest Group sponsors a Diabetes Health Fair.
Falcon Health Center is located next to the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) campus.
The Center serves the entire surrounding community as well as the BGSU faculty, staff and students. Falcon Health Center offers convenience care appointments with medical providers, immunizations, travel medicine, skin screenings, lab and radiology services, acupuncture, chiropractic care and physical therapy. For your convenience the Falcon Health Center offers a full-service pharmacy with drive through.